Complete your Iceland experience and join the optional two-night extension to Snaefellsnes Peninsula!
Monday, August 23 – Your guide will pick you up at your hotel in Reykjavik at 9:00. Drive to the Borgarfjord region sometimes called Saga Land due to its rich history and beautiful nature. Highlights of today include:
- Visiting the Hraunfossar waterfall. This unique waterfalls is created by cold springs of subterranean water seeping through the lava and falling into the Hvita glacial river.
- Witness Deildartunguhver hot spring is the most voluminous hot spring in Europe. It provides 180 liters per second of 100°C hot water.
- Hike along the scenic Nordura river that runs through the Borgarfjord valley. Visit more waterfalls and the hidden oasis aptly named Paradise.
- Do the easy hike to the top of Grabrok a crater formed by a fissure eruption about three thousand years ago. The view from the top is stunning; across lava fields, lakes, rivers and towards nearby mountain ranges.
- Explore Borgarnes town, the only town in the Borgarfjord region (population: 1,900). The town offers a variety of great restaurants, an outdoor geothermal swimming pool, a wonderful museum dedicated to the settlement of Iceland and much more.
- Learn about Egill Skallagrimsson, an Icelandic Viking poet and the protagonist of Egil´s Saga, one of Iceland´s most famous sagas.
Tuesday, August 24 - Today we travel further west to the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Highlights of today:
- An easy climb to the top of Mt. Helgafell which gives us breathtaking views of the surroundings and three wishes if we think good thoughts and don´t look back on our way up.
- An afternoon sailing tour from Stykkisholmur town out on Breidafjordur bay (Viking Sushi Tour). The beautiful bay has numerous skerries with varied bird life and whales. On the tour the crew scoops up scallops, sea urchins, crabs, starfish, sea cucumbers for you to taste along with a glass of white wine.
- Visit to Bjarnarhofn shark farm. The most famous shark farm in Iceland – learn how Icelandic fermented shark is prepared and have a taste if you dare!
- Return to Borgarnes in the late afternoon.
Wednesday, August 25 - Today, we drive from Borgarnes to Keflavik International Airport with stops along the way. Arrive in Keflavik in time for afternoon flights to North America.