“Why are you running a marathon?"
There are some of us who seek the competition and are perhaps are training for new PR goal and embrace the physical challenge. Like the early Greeks we believe that through competition the human condition is best improved.
Beginning in the early 1990’s, an increasing number of us combined competitive running goals with something close to our hearts such as running - "In honor of such-and-such charity," or "In honor of my friend / family member battling an illness," or something similar. We have been fortunate to experience many of these inspiring stories over the years on our trips.
Marathon Tours & Travel proudly provides leadership to numerous philanthropic efforts that use running and travel to benefit those who need our support. For example,
- Our Amazing Maasai Marathon in Kenya raises funds to pay high school tuition for Maasai women to further their education beyond the age of 13.
- Our Antarctica Marathon raises funds for Oceanites which is a non-profit scientific organization that monitors the effects of climate change and the impact of tourism on Antarctica and the planet as a whole.
- Our Madagascar Marathon will help to provide equipment for a local health clinic in a remote area in the south central highlands.
- Thom Gilligan our Founder, has organized a fund raising team to run the Boston Marathon for the past 19 years and has raised over $635,000 for the Charlestown Boys & Girls Club in Boston.
- Jeff Adams our President, is a longstanding National Board Member of Back on My Feet - a national organization operating in major cities coast to coast that combats homelessness through the power of running, community support and essential employment and housing resources.
Regardless of our motivation, the philanthropic causes supported by the races we run or by our individual fundraising efforts are benefiting many. We will be regularly highlighting inspiring stories of individual and group philanthropic impacts. If you have a story to share, please send to email@example.com