EXPLORE NEW ZEALAND
Explore one of the world’s most dramatic landscapes - on bike! Visit the thermal heartland of New Zealand as you travel an enticing combination of unusual, captivating landscapes, geysers, steaming craters, boiling mud pools, volcanoes, authentic Maori culture and indulgent thermal spa experiences.
Day 1 PROLOGUE - Nov 7th: You will be met at the Auckland Airport after your Queenstown extension trip, and transferred to the charming little town of Cambridge for the evening.
DAY 2 LAKE TAUPO - Nov 8th: The 160km Lake Taupo cycle Challenge is an annual charity event that attracts over 11,000 cyclists and, in 2006, was admitted to the prestigious UCI Golden Bike Series, gaining recognition as being one of the world's top six rides. Today we'll aim to complete the first 30 miles of the course. Ride 30 miles on tough undulating course.
DAY 3 TONGARIRO - Nov 9th: Established in 1887, Tongariro was the first national park in New Zealand and the fourth in the world. It is also a dual World Heritage area, a status which recognizes the park's important Maori cultural and spiritual associations as well as its outstanding volcanic features. We'll ride from the famous Chateau (our accommodation for the night) back down the mountain for awesome views of the areas three active volcanoes. For those after a tougher assignment - ride up the mountain to the ski field some 7 miles up! Ride (30 miles). Mostly downhill.
DAY 4 ROTORUA - Nov 10th: Ride through the Waikite ("hot water") valley past steaming craters and boiling mud, and complete our ride at a hot stream perfect for bathing. Ride (25 miles) undulating, with two big climbs. In the afternoon enjoy your choice of geothermal attractions, Maori cultural activities, or a mud bath in teh world renowned Rotorua thermal spa.
DAY 5 THERMAL WONDERLAND - Nov 11th: Visit Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, the region's most colorful thermal park. Wai-O-Tapu means "Sacred Water" and it is easy to see why. Hot pools range in hues of rich blue and green to burnt orange and sulpuric yellow, making the steaming waters a dazzling must-see. After lunch we will make our way back to Auckland International Airport with plenty of time to spare before yoru departure flight home. No riding today.
Type of tour - Road
Trip Length - 5 days / 4 Nights
Riding Distance - 130 km (85 miles)
Daily Average - 40km (27 miles)
Terrain - Mostly undulating
Start City - Auckland
End City - Auckland
Included Activities - Entry to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
Meals included - 4 Breakfasts
Price - $1,977 per person in a twin or double share
$2,859 per single
Dates - Nov 7 - Nov 11
*This tour is offered by request only. Above pricing is based on 6 paying passengers.*
• Rides are between 40 and 60 km (25–35 miles) per day, or 2 to 4 hours in duration.
• Routes are typically on flat to undulating terrain, though each day we have interesting or challenging diversions en-route, which we’ll point out, or additional routes riding with the Cycle Turismo crew for those seeking a longer, more demanding ride
• We specifically use back-roads with low traffic flows, fewer intersections and other hazards
• Many of our customers are cycling beginners relishing the opportunity to ride without traffic rushing by, though most are enthusiasts looking for enjoyable, social rides in beautiful, new terrain.
• We offer small group tours (of 6 to 12 cyclists) to enable you to have a more personalized and interactive holiday experience.
• No panniers in sight – just great cycling.
• Cycling outfit (bib shorts and short sleeve cycling shirt) which is yours to keep.
• A brand new helmet to ensure your safety – also yours to keep after the tour.
• Water bottles (Brand new and yours to keep)
• Late model, highly spec’d road bike, with an odometer cycle computer. These are lightweight road bikes with carbon forks front and rear for comfort.
• Pedals. We supply SPD, Look Keo or flat pedals. We encourage you to bring your own pedals if your cycle shoes have clips, and we will attach these to the bike.
• Daily ride snacks and energy drink provided
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS:
• 4 nights’ accommodation is included in the tour price. This includes one night in Cambridge, Taupo, Tongariro, and Rotorua.
• Our accommodation partners provide luxurious yet affordable hotels.
• We will recommend cafes and restaurant options all of which are within easy walking distance of accommodation. The dining charge is not included in the tour price.
• Breakfast is provided each day.